Bangalore One

"Bangalore One" is what the recently opened service centers are called. These neighborhood centers are intended to be the one-stop for anything that requires you to transact with the local governmental agencies. The idea is that citizens can pay their water, electricity, property tax, etc. all under a single roof.

When I walked in to the BangaloreOne center in Malleswaram to pay my parking ticket, what I saw was quite impressive: Spotless interiors with ample seating and a sea of sleek service desks. Behind these desks sat smiling representatives, eager to help. Government employees without a perennial scowl plastered on their faces? This was definitely a refreshing change.

The service rep quickly opened a web session on her brand-new computer and proceeded to process my parking ticket. Within a minute, I could sense that she was having trouble keying in the data. Turns out that this was the very first parking ticket being processed at the new center. The Bangalore One system was not accepting the date in a certain field. Soon, other reps circled her to offer troubleshooting tips.

Nothing worked. Finally, I asked her if I could take a look at the screen. Reluctantly she agreed to let me enter the data into their system. I entered the date without the slashes and it worked! Together, a citizen and the government had found a solution. And that's precisely the kind of collaboration we need to see.

Such convenience centers will go a long way in saving Bangalore residents time and hassles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the Bus in Bangalore

Wedding Tax

Look Ma! No Wires