Look Ma! No Wires
When I was packing my Linksys Wireless router to take to India, I wasn't sure if the added weight to my already bloated bags was even worth the trouble. I felt guilty dumping an extra bag of Ms. D's cereal in favor of the router, but I did it anyway.
I knew going in that there was a major hurdle to cross: Touchtel had given me a USB modem but what I would need now is an ethernet modem. Why? The Linksys router does not accept a USB jack.
A call to Touctel proved useful and an ethernet modem was delivered to our doorstep, complete with two techies to set things up. After setting the IP addresses and DNS servers, the ethernet modem was working.
Now came the bigger challenge of making it work with the wireless router. It took a little tinkering but finally we succeeded in getting wireless connectivity on both laptops. The signal is just as strong as we had in California. The range is quite adequate too, but I haven't really pushed the envelope yet.
So for many this many this may just be a boring computer success story, but for me it was yet another pleasant discovery that India is just as wired as the next developed nation. And the best part: All it took was one day and two phone calls.
I knew going in that there was a major hurdle to cross: Touchtel had given me a USB modem but what I would need now is an ethernet modem. Why? The Linksys router does not accept a USB jack.
A call to Touctel proved useful and an ethernet modem was delivered to our doorstep, complete with two techies to set things up. After setting the IP addresses and DNS servers, the ethernet modem was working.
Now came the bigger challenge of making it work with the wireless router. It took a little tinkering but finally we succeeded in getting wireless connectivity on both laptops. The signal is just as strong as we had in California. The range is quite adequate too, but I haven't really pushed the envelope yet.
So for many this many this may just be a boring computer success story, but for me it was yet another pleasant discovery that India is just as wired as the next developed nation. And the best part: All it took was one day and two phone calls.
Comments