As I Lay Awake
Sleeping like a log has always come easy to me. I still remember how furious Mom used to get when I would pretend that I'm up, but sneak into another bedroom to steal a few unauthorized winks. The mad scramble to school that ensued wasn't pleasant, but that's how memories are made.
It's four in the morning and I cannot go to sleep. No, it's not that I've lost my golden touch. My present condition can be attributed to jet lag and the aftermath of the American flu I brought back with me. While Ms. D snores away, here I am, pounding the keyboard for no particular reason. Other than the dull drone of the ceiling fan, it's quiet, very quiet on the eastern front. The stillness of the night is occasionally broken by dog barks and the autorickshaws. Other than that, Bangalore sure doesn't feel like a city that never sleeps.
Jet lag is no fun. Considering how the big pharmas have such bleak drug pipelines, I would think that a drug (safe and non-habit forming ones, that is) to cure jet lag would be a definite blockbuster. Instead of handing out snacks, the airlines could give travelers a choice of peanuts or the pill. And imagine what it'll do to the GDP? No loss of productivity, no fatigue-induced accidents, no nothing. Now that's a perfect recipe to get the world economies roaring again. For people like me who have mastered the art of coming down with jet lag and flu all at the same time, they could even offer a combo pill, sort of like the all-in-one pills you get for coughs and colds. I even have a name for this miracle drug--JetSet! Was that the ka-ching of a cash register I just heard?
****
It's four in the morning and I cannot go to sleep. No, it's not that I've lost my golden touch. My present condition can be attributed to jet lag and the aftermath of the American flu I brought back with me. While Ms. D snores away, here I am, pounding the keyboard for no particular reason. Other than the dull drone of the ceiling fan, it's quiet, very quiet on the eastern front. The stillness of the night is occasionally broken by dog barks and the autorickshaws. Other than that, Bangalore sure doesn't feel like a city that never sleeps.
Jet lag is no fun. Considering how the big pharmas have such bleak drug pipelines, I would think that a drug (safe and non-habit forming ones, that is) to cure jet lag would be a definite blockbuster. Instead of handing out snacks, the airlines could give travelers a choice of peanuts or the pill. And imagine what it'll do to the GDP? No loss of productivity, no fatigue-induced accidents, no nothing. Now that's a perfect recipe to get the world economies roaring again. For people like me who have mastered the art of coming down with jet lag and flu all at the same time, they could even offer a combo pill, sort of like the all-in-one pills you get for coughs and colds. I even have a name for this miracle drug--JetSet! Was that the ka-ching of a cash register I just heard?
****
Comments