Oh, Boy! La-Z Boy is Here

La-Z Boy, the company that claims to have the dubious distinction of being the world's largest recliner company, is all set to invade Indian homes. Their bulky, overstuffed, all-American recliner is the ultimate heaven for couch potatoes.

In addition to the obligatory ads, the local newspapers devoted significant newsprint to cover the La-Z Boy launch party. And for the uninitatited, they even offered guidance on how to pronounce La-Z. No, it's not "La-Zed", it's "lazy"!

As I drove to work this morning, I spotted at least two billboards that showed blond and blue-eyed models, looking relaxed and happy in their La-Z Boy recliners. Why bother with local models when you can recycle the American stuff? A stroke of Marketing genius or a glaring oversight?

I've never been a big fan of American furniture. Frankly, I find it oversized, overstuffed, overpriced, and poorly designed. Recliners are great, but I just don't understand why they have to look like armored cars. And why do they have to have massagers, built-in dinner trays, magazine pockets, TV remote holders, and what not!

Knowing how small the Indian living rooms are, I'm hoping that the La-Z Boy marketers haven't been too lazy to customize their recliners to suit the local market. And it's not just the small living rooms... I wonder how people will haul them into their apartments! The made-for-pygmies elevators and the cramped stairwells will surely make it an interesting exercise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the Bus in Bangalore

Wedding Tax

Look Ma! No Wires