Radio Days

So many of my childhood hours were spent with the boxy Philips that I cannot forget the wonderful world of radio in India. From Aakashvani to cricket commentaries to Vividh Bharti, there always seemed to be something fun to listen to.

Radio in India is not the same anymore. It is decidedly slicker, crisper, and clearer than I've ever known it. It is all grown up now. FM radio is big and the choice of stations is huge. There are theme stations for all sorts of listening pleasure--Indipop, Bollywood hits, oldies, news, regional languages, etc. And it's on 24 hours a day! I even saw some billboards announcing something called the Worldspace Radio. I haven't heard it yet, but it is supposed to be CD-quality, satellite radio.

Gone are the monochromatic ad jingles on Vividh Bharti. The restrained radio personalities of yesteryear have been replaced by younger, hipper, and definitely bolder radio jockeys. Hinglish is the lingua franca.

As I write, a station called Radio City is belting out great remixes on the RCA boombox. I'm glad we didn't dump our FM radios before we left.

***


Comments

India Post said…
Yes, they do have hindi programs. Mostly, movie songs etc.

Popular posts from this blog

On the Bus in Bangalore

Wedding Tax

Look Ma! No Wires