We've Got Wheels!

Executive Summary:

We're proud owners of a 2002 Hyundai Accent! It's metallic silver, with manual transmission, and 26,000 Km on it.

The Details:

We weren't quite looking for a used car but a chance visit to a "car bazaar" just around Sadashivanagar changed all that. I'd just popped in to see if they had any used Honda City cars. Thing is that the new Honda City has a 5-month wait and I figured that we could settle for a not-so-old used car instead. They didn't have any Honda's but they sure did have Hyundai's.

Like I said, the car store was more like a car bazaar. They put private-party vehicles on display in their large showroom, after a supposedly thorough pre-inspection (to weed out accident cars). For their labor, they get a commission from both the buyer and the seller if a deal is struck. Basically, they facilitate the test drives, inspections, paperwork, etc. What they don't do is push you. It reminded me of a place in Santa Clara (near San Tomas) which operated along the same lines.

Anyway, after I'd taken the car around the block for a spin, I started thinking that it may not be a bad idea to save Rs. 2L or so by not going for a new car. The Accent model styling hasn't changed since 2002 but we would have had to pay Rs. 7L for a brand new car. At a price tag of Rs 4.75L, it seemed to be a decent deal (we finally paid Rs. 4.69L out the door). Besides, the risk of getting the car dinged up on Bangalore roads is so high that the "ouch" factor would have been greater with a new car.

The salesperson was pleasant, knowledgable, and definitely low-pressure. A quick phone call to the car's owner was all that was needed to seal the deal (after a brief haggling session). Then, I was off to the nearest ICICI branch to get the cash. With a bag full of bills, I returned to the car store. The seller showed up to collect the cash and hand over some of the car papers. The papers were signed and it was a done deal.

Out of nowhere, a flower boquet appeared and we were asked to pose for a photograph as the keys were being handed over. Then came the complimentary gifts--tissue box, car fragrance, key rings, etc. As we made our way to the car, we noticed that it was deckled up in a big red ribbon. There were balloons inside the car to. It was time for some more pictures. And then the employees waved us goodbye. Incredible theatre, I tell you! I was loving it, though: It was a nothing like the crooked ways of the used car salesmen in the U.S.

Mindful of our limited driving abilities in Indian conditions (our Karnataka licenses notwithstanding), they generously offered to chaueffeur us home. So there we were, all decked up in ribbons, driving down Basham Circle, for the rest of Bangalore to see that we have new wheels.

Of course, now we have another challenge on our hands: How do we make room for the car in a garage that is overflowing with boxes?

***

Comments

Maneesha said…
That explains it all. All you care for is pampering.
Forty five and still spoiled :-).
India Post said…
Ms. D is not quite ready to take on the Indian roads. I'm not blessed with such a good head, so I'm out and about in our Hyundai. With one palm permanently parked on the horn, I can "safely" say that I'm managing.
TheBlogAuthor said…
I've been outside of India for almost 10 years now. So, I'm curous -- while buying a used car in India, how does one make sure that the car is in a good condition, and the mileage of the odometer is indeed accurate? Does any mechanic (or the dealer) provide a reliable car inspection?

Popular posts from this blog

On the Bus in Bangalore

Wedding Tax

Look Ma! No Wires